Thursday, October 2, 2008

wrapping up Kidmo

Dana, Here are my thoughts on wrapping up the Kidmo hour on time.(I' m assuming "on time" is 10:30) First, if folks are complaining about running over, then change to end on time. If we are going to make a habit of concluding @ 10:45 then it should be understood by all ( and published in the bulletin) that 10;45 is the official end time. Second, if ending @ 10:30 requires you to cut the program I would like to suggest cutting the ending set of music. I'm only willing to
suggest a cut in music because it is the only redundant part of the program. The kids have already sung to start the program, and those who love the singing option get additional chances immediately following Kidmo with Dacia. To cut the last set of music gives the MC one final chance to recap the lesson with the collective group. Kids learn through repetition, and the MC's are so good at making it fun and engaging. Thirdly, I would always like to end in prayer (maybe the MC can lead us in prayer as soon as he/she spots the first loitering parent). Lastly, I have never been quite comfortable with the sign-out procedure. When we run late every parent is hovering at the back of the room and it's a rush to get their child and soon as kidmo ends. 80 parents chasing 50 kids all trying to be first to get the heck out of there! If we end on time my assumption is that parents will trickle in and we can avoid the "running of the bulls" atomosphere. The drawback I see to ending kidmo on time is that parents will not get much of a chance to participate in the kids worship or even see how fun and meaningful their kids worship really is because it will be over by the time the parents. arrive. I know you would like to see parents react and become involved with kidmo, but for now I think it best to honor folks time commitments. If our church decides to put priority on family worship I know you'll be ready to execute!

1 comment:

Linda said...

I agree wholelheartedly with Terry and want to add one more statement. If the parents "miss" out on the ending worship, it gives them a great opportunity to have their kids tell them about what the lesson was. So maybe you can send out a notice to all parents addressing the time issue and "suggest" this as an opportunity for family & God growing time. ;)